This section of news.miriadonline.info: lists details, news and announcements; embeds presentations and links from contributors; and video documentation of selected sessions for the Researcher Development Programme 2016-17 and other training related opportunities of interest to MIRIAD PGRs.18-02-17 – Networking 02-02-17 – Working with galleries and museums
07-12-16 – Making effective presentations
30-11-16 – The digital researcher
23-11-16 – The literature and practice review
16-11-16 – Academic Writing
Presented by Myna Trustram – please note not Amanda Ravetz as previously advertised.
09-11-16 – Research ethics and the RD1 ethics form
02-11-16 – Working Towards the RD1 & Getting Organised
Lewis Sykes – Links
- Why every Mac owner should use Fast User Switching
- Manchester School of Art Workshops
- journaling software – MacJournal
- referencing style – MMU Harvard
- research frameworks – Practice as Research in the Arts – Robin Nelson & a video of a 2010 presentation by Robin Nelson on Vimeo
- RSS aggregators – Feedspot / Feedly
- create permanent records of cited web sources – Perma.cc
- Zotero [zoh-TAIR-oh] “… a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources”
- engaging with the wider research community – The Thesis Whisperer
- Academia – “… the easiest way to share papers with millions of people across the world for free”
26-10-16 – Introduction to Copyright
PowerPoint visual aids to accompany presentations for the ‘Introduction to Copyright’ session on Wednesday, 26th October 2016.
Lewis Sykes – Links
- BBC Radio 4’s ‘Thinking Allowed’ on Rentier Capitalism
- World Trade Organisation (WTO) – Overview: the TRIPS Agreement
- Intellectual Property Office PDF guides on news.miriadonline.info
- British Library – EThOS: UK E-Theses Online Service
- UK Copyright Services – ‘Using Copyright Notices’ fact sheet
- Citation – MMU Harvard guide
- Creative Commons
- Creative Commons – Choosing a Licence
- Creative Commons – 2008 fundraising campaign video
- Creative Commons – searching for CC licensed content
12-10-16 – Research methods in art and design
05-10-16 – Show and Tell
This is the first of the Wednesday Workshops, on 5 Oct 13.30 – 15.00, (Righton open space)
Please bring an object that you can use to talk, informally, for a few minutes about your research.
Please note two changes to the Wednesday Workshop series of the Researcher Development Programme.
- 12 October: Research methods in art and design. Amanda Ravetz
- 2 November: Towards the RD1. Getting organised (including time management). Jim Aulich, Sam Colling, Lewis Sykes.
Via the Research Degrees Administrator, Manchester School of Art:
The faculty librarians run an outreach on Thursdays 2pm-3pm in the Art School Café.
They can also be contacted: http://libguides.mmu.ac.uk/c.php?g=281250&p=1875075
Methodologies, structuring and writing research
Starting from Wednesday 11 November I will be offering fortnightly one-to-one tutorials to provide support in regards to methodologies, structuring and writing research (or anything else that you want to chat about). These sessions are open to postgraduates at any stage of their research. Hourly slots will be available between 11.00-13.00 on Wednesdays. There will be a sign up sheet on the notice board in Righton and you can also email me in regards to times available if you can’t get in to Righton.
Dr Samantha Colling
Research Degrees Assistant